Friday, November 30, 2012

Archie's Final Project (2009)

SPOILERS! Continuing my streak of teen angst movies, I watched "Archie's Final Project." High school outcast Archibald announces to the class that he is going to make a video documenting his own suicide. There is much uproar & outrage! The movie is fairly lighthearted considering the subject matter, & overly stylized for my taste. Lots of animated segments, lots of quotes from and references to various "Classic Films" near & dear the protagonist's heart. Silly like a high school is silly! I did relate to young master Archie's obsession with videotaping himself, his suicidal ideation, his societal alienation, his disgust with psych drugs & psych doctors. Unlike Archibald, by the film's end I did not come to learn that life is a wondrous gift & and an exciting adventure to be treasured. That's pretty much the only ending the movie could be expected to have & it was executed more tastefully than it might've been, but still didn't have much emotional impact for me. 3 out of 5 Netflix Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment